10:19:00 | Posted by Helena Milost | | Edit Post
This post isn't about beauty related products but it's about doing something beautiful for your community.
Today 14 June is the World Blood Donor Day. It's a day that promotes blood donation as it is a known fact that there are fewer blood donors than users.
Because it's a World Blood Donor day there are events happening all over the World to raise awareness.
In America there is this "Give" Donation Initiative that promotes awareness.
Some facts about blood donation in America and about "Give" Initiative:
Many Americans consider giving blood to be an important act of community service, however, less than 10 percent donate on an annual basis. Incredibly, if just one percent more donated–less than four million Americans–the nation’s blood shortages would disappear for the foreseeable future. To help close this gap, Nexcare Brand and America’s Blood Centers are partnering on the second annual give program, a nationwide blood donation initiative kicking off on World Blood Donor Day, Monday, June 14th, and extending through Sunday, June 20th.
With the support of hundreds of participating local blood centers, the give program inspires Americans with a message of hope, and helps them to spread the word by distributing limited-edition Nexcare Bandages marked with the word give.
World Blood Donor Day comes at an important time each year. As local blood centers face “summer shortages,” the nation’s blood supply comes under strain due to less donations because of increased vacation schedules and other seasonal distractions that tend to take place in the summer months. World Blood Donor Day reminds Americans to donate and enables them to help make a impact in reducing these shortages.
The 2010 give Bandages are inspired by both the patriotic act of giving blood as well as Flag Day, which will also be recognized on June 14, 2010. This collection of three Nexcare bandages are designed to represent the American flag signify the everyday hero in each American who commits to saving lives by donating blood.
Additionally, there’s a dedicated website, www.nexcaregive.com, where visitors can share their story, get directions to our local blood center and register to receive coupons and a free sampling of bandages.
Did You Know? Facts About Blood Donation
· One pint of blood can save up to three lives
· Every two seconds, someone needs blood
· Most Americans will require a blood transfusion at some point in their lives
· Less than 10% of Americans donate blood on an annual basis
· If one percent more Americans gave blood, all national blood shortages would disappear for the foreseeable future
· There is no substitute for human blood
· Donors can give whole blood up to six times a year
Hopefully this has inspired someone as well to donate blood today. It certainly did me (and I am frightened of needles as I always get a huge bruise on my hand).
You can get some additional information HERE.
And HERE to see last year's blood donation reports by country.
- 2014 (6)
- 2012 (5)
- 2011 (129)
- Parisky's Dream: Rainy Day
- Looklet: Three looks (It's super fun!)
- My latest DIY projects
- Blog Award: Sweet Blog
- Parisky's Dream: Sea in Moonlight
- POTD: Catrice I Scream Peach
- NOTD: Essence Into the Wild Zulu
- And the winner of my 4th giveaway is ...
- OOTD: Day and Evening
- Yet another small haul ...
- NOTD: Essence Heart Chakra + Catrice I Scream Peac...
- OOTD: Polka dots
- 14 June World Blood Donor Day
- Latest Haul
- Play time with Pablo
- Latest Hauls
- NOTD: Polka Dots
- NOTD: S-he 439
- Slovenia's Got Talent!
- NOTD: Glittery French Manicure
- Look: Between Spring and Summer
- Look: Summer Time
- NOTD: Rimmel 60 Seconds Pulsating
- Tag: Would You Rather
- 2009 (147)